Historic Truman Courthouse
Situated in the very heart of the Historic Square of Independence, Missouri, the Truman Courthouse has a history that dates back to before Independence’s most famous (and only) US President served as the Presiding Judge of Jackson County. The original building on the site went up in 1836 in the Colonial Revival style. For over 175 years the site has undergone many changes to the building with major renovations and additions in 1848, 1873, 1887, and 1907–each one changing the clock tower and altering the design. The final renovation of 1933, designed by George Fredrick Wallace under the leadership of Presiding Judge Harry S. Truman, again expanded the courthouse to accommodate all of Jackson County’s functioning departments and created a new office where the future president served as the county’s senior administrator. Since 2008 the Truman Courthouse has undergone several phases of restorative work to return the grounds to their 1933 appearance while addressing serious drainage, foundational, and structural issues that will bring the building up to code. With this restorative work the Courthouse is an attractive landmark for visitors and locals interested in the life and work of Harry S. Truman.